Hello, I’m Craig Burley. I’ve been a practising tax lawyer since 2002.
I handle Canadian tax disputes at the CRA Objection level and in the Tax Court of Canada, both in income tax and GST/HST, for all sizes of clients.
I also advise businesses and individuals in all areas of Canadian tax including audits, tax structuring, financing, compensation, investment (domestic and crossborder) and tax dispute resolution. I also deal with GST (Goods and Services Tax) and HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) and other indirect tax issues, in addition to income tax work. I often give advice regarding the maintenance of tax records, and I advise clients about responding to CRA Requirements for Information.
I’m a former member of Canada’s two largest law firms, but started my own firm in 2010. My practice has, at various times emphasized tax advice in the context of:
- reorganizations and crossborder financing;
- domestic and international investment funds;
- records retention and confidentiality;
- executive compensation and benefits structuring;
- taxation of employment, pension and benefits income; and
- tax disputes with the Canada Revenue Agency.
My tax experience includes:
- advising Canadian residents on tax issues related to new investments in both domestic and foreign entities;
- advising resident and non-resident employers on employee compensation issues, including the creation of stock option plans and non-share-based compensation plans;
- advising investment funds on tax-effective structures, including innovative fund structures and structured investment products, and on tax compliance matters related to investments and investment activities, including derivatives and debt investments; and
- advising resident and non-resident employers on multi-jurisdictional employment issues, including secondments, overseas placements, and tax issues related to non-residents providing services in Canada.
I’ve written articles on many areas of tax, including interest deductibility, Canada’s foreign investment and non-resident trust rules, and restricted and deferred share unit plans.
Noor Mahmod is a paralegal awaiting certification in Ontario, and a Casework Specialist in Craig’s office. She has a law degree from the University of Damascus.
Sonya General is the Office Manager at Craig Burley, Barrister and Solicitor. She has worked with Craig since the founding of the firm.