Hello, I’m Craig Burley. I’ve been a practising tax lawyer since 2002. I advise businesses and individuals in all areas of Canadian tax including structuring, financing, compensation, investment (domestic and crossborder) and tax dispute resolution. I also deal with the HST and other tax issues, in addition to income tax work.
I’m a former member of Canada’s two largest law firms, but started my own firm in 2010. My practice has, at various times emphasized tax advice in the context of:
* reorganizations and crossborder financing;
* domestic and international investment funds;
* records retention and confidentiality;
* executive compensation and benefits structuring;
* taxation of employment, pension and benefits income; and
* tax disputes with the Canada Revenue Agency.
My tax experience includes:
* advising Canadian residents on tax issues related to new investments in both domestic and foreign entities;
* advising resident and non-resident employers on employee compensation issues, including the creation of stock option plans and non-share-based compensation plans;
* advising investment funds on tax-effective structures, including innovative fund structures and structured investment products, and on tax compliance matters related to investments and investment activities, including derivatives and debt investments; and
* advising resident and non-resident employers on multi-jurisdictional employment issues, including secondments, overseas placements, and tax issues related to non-residents providing services in Canada.
I’ve written articles on many areas of tax, including interest deductibility, Canada’s foreign investment entity and non-resident trust rules, and restricted and deferred share unit plans.
Melissa Johnson is a law clerk in Craig’s office. She received her Law Clerk’s Certificate from TriOS College in 2016.
Sonya General is the Office Manager at Craig Burley, Barrister and Solicitor. She has worked with Craig since the founding of the firm.